Wednesday, May 02, 2007

You don't understand us so don't reprimand us



I got a fifty-song gift certificate to iTunes because I cancelled some American Express thing (uh, super, guys - will you give me a cruise if I tell you to go fuck yourselves?). So Woo hoo! Fifty songs!

I started out really responsibly. First I made up for CDs I'd lost in breakups and still miss - R.E.M., Flaming Lips, Stranglers, Chemical Brothers. Then stuff I'd only ever had on vinyl and cassette - the Police, the Pretenders, Todd Rundgren (A Dream really does Go On Forever, in case you're wondering).

And then it got a little hazy. I had every intention of filling in some obscure corner of the Neil Young oeuvre as a nice thing to do for Bob... but somehow I got sidetracked into the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Goldfrapp. Clap Hands Say Yeah, Franz Ferdinand, Tilly and the Wall, Fountains of Wayne - Jesus it's like college in my iPod right now.

I got k.d. lang's cover of Helpless, maybe that counts.

2 comments:

  1. What? No Cars? Shocking!! Fountains of Wayne are highly influenced by them, so you're covered by association. For proof, listen and/or watch "Stacy's Mom" and "Just What I Needed". Oh, just go ahead and download the Stacy's Mom video; I love it. You'll feel like a rockin' MILF after you watch it; or even more so of one.

    I'm interested in exploring Vietnam, and more of The Hong Kong (they're pop bands!!) and also Patti Smith's new covers record. How does she do it? It's like she's better now in her 50's then back in her hey-day. The radio played her version of "Gimme Shelter" yesterday a.m. and it knocked that crappy mood right outa me.

    Cliff my hairstylist is really into Peter, Bjorn and John now. The radio plays their song all of the time. It's like the theme song of the Spring of 2007.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I've been ganking so many albums from my youth such as Type O negative, LA Guns, The Smiths, The Cure, Depeche Mode....man, I've been on the nostalgia train. It makes me feel like I'm in high School again when I listen to some of these albums and am reminded of the angst and rebellion felt while listening to those albums.

    ahh....

    ReplyDelete