Tuesday, May 01, 2007

I never believed Tupac was dead either

Weeping a little bit over here. I have spent some time on the Overheard blog and holy shit the big penis / logic / Aruba thing nearly put me in the hospital. I laughed so hard that smoke from cigarettes I'd smoked circa 1987 came out. It's the headlines that really make it.

Also? William Gibson is due out with a new book and I am all up in line to get it. Here's a question for you: whose books will you pick up, no questions asked (until they let you down, hello Neal Stephenson and those big motherfucking 18th century science novels - god!). Off the top of my head I'd say Gibson, Christopher Moore, Michael Ondaatje, Russell Hoban. Used to be Walker Percy too but I'm pretty sure he's dead and I don't have to keep an eye out for his books anymore. On the kid lit side, I'll read anything by Anthony Horowitz, Eoin Colfer, or Philip Pullman.

Answer me! I want to know!

2 comments:

  1. hmmm, no questions asked? definitely dave eggers. always have, hasn't failed me yet. the obligatory david sedaris and augusten burroughs (although the latter has fallen off a bit since dry, if you ask me). haruki murakami. zadie smith. and in the graphic novel arena, james kochalka, jeffrey brown, marjane satrapi, and any future volumes of the great catsby by doha.

    -elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marjane Satrapi, goes without saying. There's lots of illustrator/authors in this category for me.

    Sedaris let me down, he's off my list, can't remember why. Augusten Burroughs I never did read. But I forgot Sarah Vowell!

    Haruki Murakami is a good one. Liz Jensen is now on my list.

    People I THINK should be on my list but aren't: Eggers, Chabon, Lethem.

    ReplyDelete