Sunday, March 11, 2007

Double self-portrait (Thinking about The Arnolfini Marriage)


arnolfini

I am not a "maker of objects," as they say.

Man, I had a professor at NYU who got so excited when one of my fellow students described himself as such that I thought the chopsticks would vibrate right out of her tight little bun. What a stupid term. You're an artist, you're a carpenter, you're whatever, but god knows you can be more specific than "maker of objects." Pffft.

Anyway, I'm no artist. But I sort of always wanted to give something a title like MMPI (Self Portrait in Yellow). Artists. Lord love 'em but they can be pretentious.

So I was making banana chocolate chip pancakes this morning and staring idly into this pot lid, and I found myself thinking of the convex mirror in Jan van Eyck's The Arnolfini Marriage...

No comments:

Post a Comment