Friday, January 12, 2007

Any ideas?


knitting

I learned to knit. Well, I "learned" to "knit".

The above abomination of wool is what happened when I combined a beautiful ball of yarn with some random instructions off the Internet.

Oh My God you say. Put It Away you say. Hey but come on! I finished it, didn't I? I tried different combinations of the knitting and the purling; I bonded with my friends and relatives and neighbors; I even got a little better at counting there toward the end.

It's also a little timeline of interactions: I could show you the point at which Gretchen showed me I was holding the string too tightly; where Kate helped me to not do it backwards; you can see where my mom taught me how to purl; and a couple inches from the end Heidi showed me how to cast off!

So you see, it took half a dozen people and oh, at least 4 months for me to knit something that is too wide and short to be a scarf, and uh, too wide and short and irregular to be actually anything.

You know who it fits? Mr. Three. If Mr. Three were the shawl type, this thing would be the perfect shawl for him.

3 comments:

  1. I'd say, not bad for one's first project. not sure if anyone told you, but first knitting projects are traditionally scarves which no one wears because they're not fit for the public to see. so if you can actually wear your first completed project, then you're ahead of the game. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, I swear, you are the most supportive person! Would you adopt me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just learned to knit, too, but I took a class at Lovely Yarns. I also think it's asking a lot for the first project to be wearable. I mean you have to practice. I like to call my first scarf assymetrical, as opposed to irregular.

    ReplyDelete