Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Good news, bad news

COOLEST MUHFUCKEN THING I HAVE SEEN IN A WHILE!!

Whichbook.net

Find yourself a book that suits you - set sliders on scales such as funny/serious, safe/disturbing, short/long. So if you're like me and you want a very funny book that is also somewhat disturbing and fairly violent, and not too long... whichbook lets you ask for it! and then delivers suggestions! Fucken jenius! How many times does some lady say, "Ohh, I just want something fun but sad for the beach," and I go, "Uhhhhhhh..."

It's hard to describe. Here's a screenshot:

whichbook

Each of those scales on the left has a slider you can set. So far, I've tried lots of combinations and never stumped it. And, being British, Whichbook offers choices that are slightly off the beaten path for U.S. readers, increasing the chance that you'll find something you've never heard of.

Whichbook apparently also interfaces with the British library system, so when you find a book that suits you, you can hit a button marked "Borrow it." Dag jab it, that is some swanky tech.

(So what's the bad news you ask? There is none - "Good news, bad news" is the title of a book by David Wolstoncroft that I'm going to read based on Whichbook's suggestion and posted review.)

1 comment:

  1. That's beautiful. The only thing that would make me happier is if you could specify genre like Mystery or Fantasy, etc. Ah, my inner dentist comes out around gift horses!

    ReplyDelete