Thursday, June 22, 2006

all right. I've been working up to this for some time now.

I'm 40. I have two boys, one just turned 3 and one is going on 5.

I quit my job and left New York City 5 years ago - I used to really work, you know, 60 hours a week, even when I was pregnant - but since then I've worked at home, or not at all, or part time. And I've felt really fortunate about that, except when the miniblinds don't fucking work, or when it's 90+ degrees, and this is Baltimore kids, it's June 22 and it hit 100 today, thanks... yes that's just what I needed when Boy1 threw 10 fits and I had 3 loads of laundry to fold and dinner to think about... um. Better end that sentence.
Nuts to that whole paragraph actually.

So lately, with some turmoil in the husband's job, I've been looking pretty seriously at full time jobs. Boy1 goes to K in the fall, and Boy2 won't be happy at home with just me (trust me, I'm boring) so he'll find a pre-K one hopes. And I've started taking pictures again. I started posting them on Flickr. And while captioning those pictures, I've remembered the whole thing about words.

Not just the words you use when you have 2 kids under 5. "Good job!" "That's right!" "You know, you're very observant! Do you know what 'observant' means?" Oh god, I am supportive.

But words like 'fume' and 'bloat' and 'assheadedness'.

So I should probably have a blog.

I do read a lot of blogs. Big fan of gofugyourself, but who isn't. forksplit, I love that chick. finslippy and amalah and dooce, oh, the potty training comments alone made me feel so much better.

And I am a librarian, there's no mistaking. I spend a lot of time recommending books, and I'm tired of saying the same things over and over. "You're 13? a boy? You thought Harry Potter sucked? You have to read Historical Fiction this summer? Read Gary Paulsen!" Yes, ok, Gary Paulsen is what that boy needs - but there are hundreds of those boys, why the fuck isn't there a thing parents can look at that categorizes a child by age, gender, harry potter +/-?

So I guess what I'll do is do book reviews. Kid anecdotes. Photo captions. I don't know what I'll do, but I think I better do something.

No comments:

Post a Comment