Monday, April 28, 2008

Truckin'

See the tiny aphids?

I couldn't get columbines to grow in my garden for years. I don't know how many packets of seeds I bought and sowed. Finally, two years ago, I grabbed a couple of dead flowers off my neighbor's columbines and just shook them over the garden, distributing the tiny seeds willy-nilly. Those are the giant columbine shrubs that I have now.

Deadheading this plant last year, I got distracted, and snipped part of my ring finger off. It's nice when you have a history with your garden.

1 comment:

  1. Columbine seeds are weird. I bought some and started 3 plants a couple years ago. They have proved deathless -- of course, I don't like this variety (Grandmother's Garden -- who needs pink and purple flowers on the same plant??).

    Conversely, seeds from an inherited columbine (which I liked very much) have stubbornly refused to germinate even though I winter-sowed them in outdoor flats, and this year the mother plant was killed by vole tunneling and winter cold.

    Gah.

    ReplyDelete