Thursday, September 20, 2007

Get ya little somethin' that you can't get at home

Like ACW, I don't mind music memes. So, like ACW, I'm going to do one. You can do it too, and leave a comment - I would read that list!
Copy this list, leave in the bands you’ve seen perform live, delete the ones you haven’t, and add new ones that you have seen until you reach 25. An asterisk means the previous person had it on their list. Two asterisks means the last two people who did this before you had that band on their list.
Here’s my list. I had only one item carry over from ACW's list: I guess everyone's seen Dylan at some point.

1. Bob Dylan****
2. Jesus and Mary Chain (sucked)
3. Dinosaur Jr. (at the new 9:30 Club, thanks Gretchen!)
4. INXS (ha ha, no, really!)
5. Nick Lowe
6. the Police (in 1983!)
7. R.E.M. (opened for the Police, nobody paid them any attention)
8. Jane's Addiction (at the old 9:30 Club)
9. Siouxsie and the Banshees (first Lollapalooza, 1991)
10. Del Fuegos ("borrowed" a car to get to that show, Fantasy Theater, Cleveland, mid-80's)
11. Joe Walsh
12. Pretenders (twice, twenty years apart, and the show was exactly the same both times! Except the second time Chrissie was much nicer.)
13. Green Day (at the 8x10 in 1994 when the stage really was 8' by 10')
14. Beausoliel
15. Fishbone (1988. I can remember Dirty Walter climbing from the stage at Hammerjacks to the mezzanine, we thought he was going to die)
16. Butthole Surfers (also at 1991 Lollapalooza. Gibby fired a shotgun full of confetti, and I totally ducked for cover. I lived in such a crappy neighborhood.)
17. Duran Duran (free tickets)
18. Rollins Band (now Henry only does his standup act, I think the band's defunct)
19. Tangerine Dream (boy was that a geeky boyfriend)
20. Jonathan Richman (Knitting Factory, NYC)
21. New Order (Nautica Stage, 1987, with Echo and the Bunnymen and Gene Loves Jezebel)
22. Pogues (with Shane staggering on and offstage, we think he was getting dialysis between songs)
23. Jon Spencer Blues Explosion (awesome awesome and more awesome)
24. the Roches
25. the Jazz Butcher (Will not tour the U.S. anymore, mad at George Bush. Not sure George Bush's feelings are particularly hurt by this decision.)

I filled up some of this list by putting the iPod on random and typing in the bands that came up that I've seen. And it's kind of odd who I haven't seen: no Tom Waits ever, no Elvis Costello, Patti Smith, k.d. lang, Billy Bragg, Lou Reed, They Might be Giants (I just missed 'em again, it's a curse!), Flaming Lips, Beastie Boys, Sonic Youth, and you know, I just can't be sure I ever saw the Ramones or not. I must've - they came thru Baltimore every year for a while, playing Hammerjacks when it was still down under the 395 overpass.

6 comments:

  1. I'm insanely jealous. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm insanely jealous that you saw Green Day at the 8x10. I saw them at Merriweather like a decade later than I would have liked. They still rocked, but the fans were mostly there with their parents?! and the line for t-shirts was longer than that for beer - never a good sign at a show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. danielle - yes, I heard that some years after I stopped paying attention to them, Green Day invented punk rock and got real popular. Funny, that's kind of not what happened to the bands that ACTUALLY invented punk rock!

    and lori, does this whole thing mean that, in fact, we ARE our iPods? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahahhaha...yeah. I suppose we ARE our ipods. I wish I could have registered that Domain. Stupid copyright laws.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm afraid of this meme and what it might reveal about me (even to myself)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jaime, how could it be worse than both INXS and the Roches? Oh, wait, you like all those Irish bands (snicker).

    ReplyDelete