Wednesday, November 05, 2008

America: Not as dumb as she looks, for once



(Not these people, of course - their choice of apparel makes them look very smart indeed!)

We watched the returns with a big crowd from our neighborhood at our friends' house up the street last night. Oh, I was so happy to be among friends. We were nervous, tense, jubilant, teary, and, in the end, many of us were REALLY drunk.

Just like at the polls, it was a historically huge turnout. Dozens of adults, and dozens of kids bombing around like pinballs. As I looked at the pictures later, I noticed just how heterogeneous a group it was: vegetarians and meat-eaters, home-schoolers, teetotalers, musicians, bureaucrats, educators, our mailman, and French people. We were diverse in terms of religion, race, age, country of origin, ancestry, height, gender, orientation, hair color, education, taste in music, and opinion on vaccinations. There were jocks and there were geeks, and at least two or three people who identify as both.

But we had a couple things in common: we had all voted, and we'd all voted for Obama - even those of us who, because this is Maryland and the Democrats will always safely win here, often throw our vote to the Independent or the Green candidate. Couldn't do it this time. And when John McCain made his concession speech, we all agreed that it was the classiest speech he's made this entire campaign. THAT's the guy I've always respected, no matter what side of the aisle he was on.

And when the long-awaited, almost unbelievable moment came, and Barack Obama stepped out on the stage with his family, through our tears of joy, we all shared our host's appalled incredulity when he blurted, "WHAT is that DRESS?"

Happy new day, America! You, like Michelle Obama, are beautiful - don't let your stylist push you around.

4 comments:

  1. "What is that dress?" Hahahaha! Marc called her the First Panda.

    I was, frankly, out of my body and maybe the most joyous I've felt since Fergus's birth. Although joyous isn't it, either...more of a "holy shit the plane crashed and there's a spinal surgeon on board!"

    Damnit...that's Lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the pictures I took that night are the best I've ever shot. Not technically good by any means, but I just love drinking in the faces. Everybody was so profoundly affected, so proud, so amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree, with you on the concession speech the John McCain gave, that's the McCain that existed before he sold his soul to the religious right.
    That dress, kind of wore her, which was unfortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister and I sat holding our breath until the final Scream of delight when they finally called it! I think I watched that speech of Obama's 100 times, and put it on my facebook page too. I think I aged 10 years worrying about this election...

    You are correct, John McCain was the guy that I always thought he was before the campaign. I was proud of him.

    and the dress...I actually thought it was a lady bug halloween costume at first...and then realized that she wouldn't have done that...so...dunno what else say about that one...but, I am sure she will hear about it for the rest of her life!

    ReplyDelete