Friday, June 15, 2007

There are 23 things


Improvisation No. 23 by Wassily Kandinsky

But not more.

My library system is participating in the Maryland 23 Things Librarians Should Know About Web 2.0. I signed up for it, hey, you bet! You're supposed to start a blog, get a Flickr account, etc. etc. And you can win a prize! I want the prize, I totally should get it, I do all the 23 things all the time, sometimes at the same time, sometimes without even meaning to, and sometimes in public (that can be embarrassing). But I was informed it is a random drawing.

I read through the 23 Things last year when it was first published, by those smart librarians at the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Public Library System. I saw a mention of it in American Libraries, and thought, oh crap, I have no idea what they're talking about with this 2.0 stuff. Lucky for me I was doing it already and just didn't know that's what it was called.

So one of the things we're supposed to do is write a blog post about some aspect of technology. I never use this blog to write about work. I don't want to get fired and I don't really need total strangers knowing where I work. But I think I can do this on the QT.

Here's a technology thing I would like to see:

I would like my system's ILS to work correctly with Aquabrowser, the web interface they have chosed to lay on top of the catalog. When you do a search, you cannot capture a persistent URL for the item you have found, so you can't link to it. Also, you cannot sort your search results by call number. I have seen the demos of Aquabrowser that are available online, and these features do work in the software. It's just apparently a clumsy fit with the ILS we have.

And you know, it's a good thing I'm doing the MD 23 Things. I have learned something new - nowadays you can change your template colors in Blogger! Dude! I'm blue!

My only regret about going to the BEEEEACH! tomorrow for a week is that I'll miss the red-carpet premiere of my friend Kate's sister's movie, The Hollywood Librarian. Kate had even asked me to walk the red carpet as her date! Here's a behind the scenes look, to make myself feel better.

3 comments:

  1. I seem to recall reading that you enjoy books about disease. Have you read this? And if so, is it worthy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. tricia, I'm totally behind on non-fiction. this is on my short list, or should be. I also havent read Due Preparations for the Plague; the Great Stink (both fiction); or Spook.

    this beach week however I did read eleven J and Y fiction books. big ones! coming soon - very short reviews!

    ReplyDelete