Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Advil Calendar: Week 4

This is how messed up the holidays are for everyone. I have had all four weeks of my Advil Calendar - the daily holiday calendar for grownups, showcasing a fancy or obscure liquor every day - written for weeks, and still I ended up lagging behind.

Well, as an apology, let's begin with bacon.




Wednesday, December 22: Four Roses Yellow Label Bourbon

It's Wednesday! Time to mix something weird! Try PDT’s Bacon-Infused Old Fashioned
for weird. I am not transcribing the instructions here. You wanna go there, you're going to have to suit up and go there yourself.

Alternatively, you could go the Golden West route, and merely pour a shot of very nice bourbon with a slice of very nice thick-cut house-smoked bacon as a swizzle. Let that bacon soak for a little while, then alternate sips of bourbon and bites of bacon.





Thursday, December 23: Corzo Reposado 100% Agave

It is getting too close to the Big Day to mess with fancy drinks. For our last Tequila Thursday together, just try The Giraffe:

Tequila
grapefruit juice
2 ice cubes
Pour the Tequila into a tall glass and followed by the two ice cubes. Swirl the two around in the glass for a time (note: do not stir), and then add grapefruit juice to taste.




Friday December 24: Catdaddy Moonshine

The Glitter Dunn: moonshine and caffeine. THESE PRESENTS AIN'T GONNA WRAP THEIRSELVES DAMMIT.

1 1/4 ounces moonshine
1/4 ounce Cointreau
1 ounce Sunny D
1/2 ounce Rock Star orange energy drink
ice
orange wedge, optional
Combine the moonshine, Cointreau, Sunny D, Rock Star and ice in a cocktail shaker.
Shake vigorously until very cold. Strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with an orange wedge, if desired.




Saturday, December 25: Flor de Caña 4 Years Extra Rum 80 Proof

Flor de Caña is sugar cane rum from Nicaragua. We found some in the house we rented in Costa Rica this summer. Costa Rican Imperial beer is pretty good, and certainly has fantastic graphics, but we were done with it the moment we poured this sweet, smooth, complex rum into... into anything. We bought a three-pack at the duty free on the way home. One bottle broke in transit, which was sad, but made our luggage smell delicious.

So on Christmas morning, I recommend that you make orange juice for the crowd. Fresh-squeezed, what are you, some kind of a lazy homemaker? (I know you are - so am I. But we pretend otherwise on Christmas.) Dump a shot of Flor de Caña into yours. There you go. Smile and wave, girls and boys.

Smile and wave.

3 comments:

  1. How dare anyone muddle Four Roses pure bloodline with a mixer!!! Her poor cousin, Maker's Mark, now that's a different story.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've said it before and I'll say it again: you are a genius. But I'm a little afraid of the Sunny D and Rockstar. (That said, my friend mulled Tang for her holiday party the other night and I drank it, so I probably lack moral high ground here.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband just made that bacon-infused bourbon for Old Fashioneds! My review? Um, well, um....heck I'll drink anything.

    ReplyDelete